Defence minister’s remarks stir controversy amid fragile ceasefire and stalled peace roadmap
Fresh remarks by Israel’s defence minister have reignited tensions over Gaza’s future, raising new questions about ceasefire commitments, regional stability, and the long path toward peace.
Controversial Vow Amid Fragile Truce
On Dec 23, Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz declared that Israel would never fully withdraw from the Gaza Strip, citing long-term security concerns. Speaking at an event in the Israeli settlement of Beit El in the occupied West Bank, Katz said Israeli forces were “deep inside Gaza” and would remain there to prevent a repeat of Hamas’ Oct 7, 2023 attack on Israel. His remarks came as a US-brokered ceasefire between Israel and Hamas continued to hold, albeit tenuously.
Plans For Nahal Units In Northern Gaza
Katz also signaled intentions to establish Nahal units in northern Gaza, referencing military-agricultural units historically linked to the formation of Israeli communities. He said these units could replace Jewish settlements evacuated during Israel’s unilateral disengagement from Gaza in 2005. Nahal units combine civilian volunteer programs with military service and have previously played a role in settlement expansion.
Conflict With Existing Peace Frameworks
The statements appear to contradict elements of a US-backed peace plan signed by Israel and Hamas in October. That framework outlines a phased Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, the creation of an interim governing authority to replace Hamas, and the deployment of an international stabilization force. It also calls for Gaza’s demilitarization, including the disarmament of Hamas, a condition the group has rejected.
Political Backlash Inside Israel
Katz’s remarks drew criticism from across Israel’s political spectrum. Former defence minister and ex-army chief Gadi Eisenkot accused the government of undermining national consensus during a sensitive security period. Eisenkot argued that talk of renewed settlement activity clashed with diplomatic commitments endorsed by Israel’s leadership, including initiatives previously supported by former US President Donald Trump.
Government Signals And Electoral Undercurrents
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office declined to comment directly, though Netanyahu has repeatedly ruled out the re-establishment of civilian settlements in Gaza during the ongoing two-year conflict. Still, ultra-nationalist members of his coalition continue to push for reoccupation. With Israel heading into an election year in 2026, settlement policy is expected to become a central and divisive political issue.
Broader Regional Implications
Katz also justified Israel’s extended military posture by citing threats beyond Gaza, including in Lebanon and Syria, saying Israel could not rely on others to protect its citizens. His comments coincided with the announcement of 1,200 new housing units in Beit El, reinforcing perceptions that settlement expansion remains a core priority of the current government.
The renewed debate over Gaza underscores how fragile ceasefire arrangements remain amid unresolved political and security questions. For Indonesians and Singaporeans observing the conflict, Katz’s remarks highlight the wider geopolitical risks tied to prolonged military occupations, stalled peace processes, and regional instability that continue to shape global diplomatic and economic landscapes.
Sources: Channel News Asia (2025) , Straits Times (2025)
Keywords: Israel Katz, Gaza Strip, Israeli Military, Hamas Ceasefire, West Bank Settlements











